Monday, August 15, 2011

Dumpling Dinner


Sunday, August 7, 2011

Our nightly Dorito appetizer
We get a taxi back to the hotel and have a drink in the lobby while we decide where to go to dinner.  We ask the front desk for recommendations and are told to walk down the street and we will see many options – Japanese, Korean and Taiwanese.  With Kaylee still sleeping, we want to sit down.  We decide on Din Tai Fung (Xinyi Branch) – a famous dumpling place - based on a mention on an adoption blog and reviews on TripAdvisor.  The review says it is crowded, but worth it.  We google map it and decide it is pretty close.  We ask the front desk to make a taxi card and take the short ride there.
Now serving # 53
Deciphering the Order Sheet

Lined up even on the curb
Kaylee is still sleeping soundly.  There is a huge crowd outside of the restaurant.  We see #53 on the display and are given a clipboard and a #99.  Told it will be approximately 40 minutes.  We have an order form to place our order.  Most dumplings are done in orders of 10.  The hostess recommends the pea shoots.  We order pork/shrimp steamed dumplings, potstickers, pork dumplings, shrimp fried rice and pea shoots. 
We head to the bookstore next door while we wait.  When we travel, we always get Kaylee an age-appropriate book.  Last time we were in Taiwan, we got her a touch and feel baby book.  This time we got her a Cinderella book in both English and Chinese.  Their princesses do not look the same, but glancing through the book the story seems similar.  We head back to the restaurant to wait.  A woman had her son move to give me some space on the curb to sit down with Kaylee.  I say “xie xie” and they laugh.  I ask what happened and she says she is Japanese.  I then ask how to say thank you in Japanese and thank them properly with an “arigato.”
They call our number and we head inside.  The dumplings are great and I love the pea shoots. Kaylee never wakes and I eat with chopsticks over her.  Pretty messy! 
Great Steamed Dumplings

Loved the pea shoots and potstickers


We take a taxi back and Troy watches our progress on the GPS on his phone.  The driver misses the hotel and has to do a u-turn.  Lots of beeping.  It was twice as expensive as the way there.  All in all it was a great day and ridiculously inexpensive as the zoo, gondola and tea house cost us less than $6USD total for our family.
Kaylee is still asleep, which I understand as I nod off occasionally too.  With all that sleeping though, she is up and ready to roll at 1 am.  I tried to get her to watch a movie, etc., but finally just ended up getting up with her.  Troy is sleeping.  It’s now 4 am and Kaylee has set-up a shop for me to buy things – anything I want – I bought a pillow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment